Contacts: room C419, 4th floor C wing.
Life Sciences Center, Sauletekio av. 7, LT-10257, Vilnius
Telephone: 8 522 34402
Giulio Preta hold a PhD in Experimental Oncology and worked as postdoctoral fellow in Karolinska Institute (Stockholm, Sweden) and Swansea University (Swansea, United Kingdom), before joining the Department of Bioelectrochemistry and Biospectroscopy at the VU Life Sciences Center. He is interested in in the biophysics of lipid rafts and in the identification of new factors capable to disrupt/modify these membrane domains. The importance of investigating the intrinsic nature of lipid rafts is underlined by their involvement in many processes including bacterial and viral entry. According to Scopus he authored 18 manuscripts and has an h-index of 10.
Areas of expertise
Drugs-induced modification of lipid membranes: combined approach using biophysical (tethered bilayer lipid membranes) and biological (cell culture techniques, hemolysis assays, confocal imaging) methods.
Penkauskas T, Zentelyte A, Ganpule S, Valincius G, Preta G. Pleiotropic Effects of Statins via Interaction With the Lipid Bilayer: A Combined Approach. Biochim Biophys Acta Biomembr . 2020 Sep 1;1862(9):183306.
- Penkauskas T, Preta G. (2019): Biological applications of tethered bilayer lipid membranes. Biochimie. Feb; 157:131-141
- Santos A.L., Preta G. (2018): Lipids in the cell: organization regulates function. Cell Mol Life Sci.. Jun;75(11):1909-1927.
- Griffin S, Preta G., Sheldon IM. (2017): Inhibiting mevalonate pathway enzymes increases stromal cell resilience to a cholesterol-dependent cytolysin. Sci. Rep. Dec 6;7(1):17050.
- Preta G. (2017): Understanding the Dr, Jekyll and Mr Hyde nature of apoptosis-inducing factore: future perspectives. Biomed J.40(4):239-240.
- Preta G, Jankunec M, Heinrich F, Griffin S, Sheldon IM and Valincius G. (2016): Tethered bilayer membranes as a complementary tool for functional and structural studies: the pyolysin case. BBA Biomembranes. 1858(9):2070-80.
- Waquar A, Preta G, Haboubi H. (2016): Thomas’s sign. BMJ 2016;352:i1213.
- Preta G, Cronin J, Sheldon IM (2015): Dynasore - not just a dynamin inhibitor. Cell Commun. Signal. 13:24.
- Preta G, Lotti V, Cronin JG, Sheldon IM (2015): Protective role of the dynamin inhibitor Dynasore against the cholesterol-dependent cytolysin of Trueperella pyogenes. FASEB J. 29 (4) 1516-1528.
- Ottosson-Wadlund A, Ceder R, Preta G, Pokrovskaja K, Grafström RC, Heyman M, Söderhäll S, Grandér S, Hedenfalk I, Robertson JD, and Fadeel B. (2013): Requirement of apoptotic protease-activating factor-1 for bortezomib-induced apoptosis but not for Fas-mediated apoptosis in human leukemic cells. Mol. Pharm ;83(1):245-55.
- Preta G, Fadeel B. (2012): AIF and Scythe (Bat3) regulate phosphatidylserine exposure,and macrophage clearance of cells undergoing Fas (APO-1)-mediated apoptosis. PLoS ONE 7(10): e47328
- Hansson ML, Behmer S, Ceder R, Mohammadi S, Preta G, Grafström R, Fadeel B and Wallberg AE. (2012): MAML1 acts cooperatively with EGR1 to activate EGR1-regulated promoters: implications for nephrogenesis and the development of renal cancer". PLoS ONE.. 7(9):e46001.
- Preta G, Fadeel B, (2012): Scythe cleavage during Fas (APO-1)-and staurosporine mediated apoptosis. FEBS Lett. 586 (6):747-52.
- Preta G, de Klark R, Gavioli R, Glas R. (2010): The Enigma of Tripeptidyl-Peptidase II: Dual Roles in Housekeeping and Stress. J Oncol. pii:128478.
- Preta G, de Klark R, Chakraborti S, Glas R. (2010): MAP kinase-signaling controls nuclear translocation of tripeptidyl-peptidase II in response to DNA damage and oxidative stress. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 399:324-330.
- Preta G, de Klark R, Glas R. (2009): A role for nuclear translocation of tripeptidyl-peptidase II in reactive oxygen species-dependent DNA damage responses. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 389:575-579.
- Preta G, Marescotti D, Fortini C, Carcoforo P, Castelli C, Masucci MG, Gavioli R. (2008): Inhibition of serine-peptidase activity enhances the generation of a survivin-derived HLA-A2-presented CTL epitope in colon-carcinoma cells. Scand J Immunol. 68:579-588.
Projects and supervisions
PhD Student project
Shamish Ganpule: investigation of the pleiotropic effects of statins via interaction with lipid membranes.