Although the history of VU LSC starts in March 2016 after official opening ceremony of the Life Sciences Center, the origins of LSC date back to 1781 when VU Faculty of Natural Sciences was established. Since then the faculty grew in research fields and number of departments.
In the middle of summer 2013 it was decided to build brand new facilities with inovative infrastucture that would accomodate not just all departments of biosciences but also two scientifically relative institutes - the Institute of Biochemistry (founded in 1967) and the Institute of Biotechnology (founded in 1975).
Letter to the future generations was set in stone on 14 of November, 2013. The Center was finished in December, 2015, while the first students and scientists settled-in in February, 2016. The project of VU LSC was lead by professor Juozas Rimantas Lazutka.
The Center has strengthened research, studies and technological advance in the fields of biochemistry, biotechnology, molecular biology, genetics, neurobiology, molecular medicine and related areas.