Contacts: room C417, 4th floor
Life Sciences Center, Sauletekio av. 7, LT-10257, Vilnius
Telephone: 8 52 234401
Research gate: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Rima_Budvytyte
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5063-5878
In 2016 October R. Budvytyte has returned from her postdoctoral studies in Denmark, and now she is a research associate in Department of Bioelectrochemistry and Biospectroscopy at the VU Life Sciences Center. She earned her PhD degree in Biochemistry at Vilnius University in 2012.
Budvytyte is a co-author of 15 peer reviewed in Thomson Reuters Web of Science database (hindex= 9) and she was participating in the 22 international conferences. R. Budvytyte has an international experience in collaboration with scientists from US. She visited NIST (2006, NSF sponsored) and Carnegie Mellon University (2009 and 2011, NIH and LMT sponsored), where she has received training in DLS and Fluorescence correlation spectroscopy.
Since 2012 April till 2016 October, she did her postdoc, as postdoctoral fellow, at Niels Bohr Institute, at the University of Copenhagen. R. Budvytyte has joined a Membrane Biophysics group led by prof. Thomas Heimburg. Prof. T. Heimburg is a famous scientist in the field of thermodynamics of biological membranes
Areas of expertise
Investigations of tethered lipid membranes on surface and their interactions with peptides and misfolded proteins using electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, fluorescence correlation spectroscopy;
Studies of morphology, conformation and toxicity of misfolded aggregates as a key molecular components in neurodegenerative diseases using atomic force microscopy, dynamic light scattering and sum frequency generation.
The postdoc research project was focusing on thermodynamic aspects of biological membranes. Of particular interest was the heat production of nerves during the action potential using thermocouples/temperature sensors on chips in combination with the electrical recordings. Study of pulse collision in nerves and mechanical changes of nerves during the action potential propagation.
Upcoming (looking for students)
Evelina Jankaitytė - Master thesis in Biophysics (2019-2021 years)
Akvilė – Master thesis in Biochemistry (2019-2021years)
Viktorija Ramovaitė – Bachelor thesis in Biochemistry (2019-2020 years)
Evelina Jankaityte - Bachelor thesis in Biochemistry(2018-2019)
Dovilė Ambrazavičiūtė – Master thesis in Neurobiology (2018-2019)
Izabelė Šuikaitė – Bachelor thesis in Biochemistry (2017-2018)
2017-2021 MTEP, SMART - Nr. 01.2.2- LMT-K-718-01-0025. Non-Invasive Approach To Early Diagnosis Of Acute Severe Pancreatitis. Project leader: dr. Julija Razumienė.
- Gintaras Valincius, Frank Heinrich, Rima Budvytyte, David J. Vanderah, Yuri Sokolov, James E. Hall and Mathias Lösche. Soluble amyloid β oligomers affect dielectric membrane properties by bilayer insertion and domain formation: Implications for cell toxicity. Journal., 2008, 95:4845-61. Impact factor: 3.632.
- Paulius Cizas*, Rima Budvytyte*, Ramune Morkuniene, Radu Moldovan, Matteo Broccio, Mathias Loesche, Gediminas Niaura, Gintaras Valincius, Vilmante Borutaite. Size-dependent neurotoxicity of beta-amyloid oligomers. Biochem. Biophys., 2010, 496:84-92. *Both authors contributed equally. Impact factor: 3.21
- Niaura, R. Budvytyte, Z. Kuprionis, G. Valincius. Sum frequency generation spectroscopy of amyloid fibrils and oligomers at air/water interface. Proc. SPIE, 2010, vol 7376, 73760Q17.
- Vladislava Voiciuk, Gintaras Valincius, Rima Budvytyte, Algirdas Matijoska, Gediminas Niaura. Surface-enhanced Raman spectroscopy for detection of toxic amyloid β oligomers adsorbed on self-assembled monolayers. Spectrochimica Acta Part A: Molecular and Biomolecular Spectroscopy. 2012;(95): 526–532. Impact factor: 2.63.
- Rima Budvytyte, Mindaugas Mickevicius, David J. Vanderah, Frank Heinrich, Gintaras Valincius. Modification of tethered bilayer compositions by material exchange with vesicles. Langmuir, 2013;29:4320-4327. Impact factor: 4.46
- Indre Dalgediene, Rita Lasickiene, Rima Budvytyte, Gintaras Valincius, Ramune Morkuniene, Vilmante Borutaite and Aurelija Zvirbliene. Immunogenic properties of amyloid beta oligomers. Journal of Biomedical Science. 2013;20:10. Impact factor: 2.76
- Rima Budvytyte, Gintaras Valincius, Gediminas Niaura, Vlada Voiciuk, Hilary Stauffer Prabhanshu Shekhar, Frank Heinrich, Siddharth Shenoy, David J. Vanderah and Mathias Lösche. Anchor Molecules Affect Structure and Properties of Tethered Bilayer Lipid Membranes. Langmuir. 2013; 29 (27):8645–8656. Impact factor: 4.46
- Budvytyte, R., Pleckaityte, M., Zvirbliene, A., Vanderah, D. J., & Valincius, G. Reconstitution of cholesterol-dependent vaginolysin into tethered phospholipid bilayers: implications for bioanalysis. PloS One, 2013;8(12), e82536. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0082536. Impact factor: 3.234.
- Tadas Ragaliauskas, Mindaugas Mickevicius, Rima Budvytyte, Gediminas Niaura, Benjamin Carbonnier, Gintaras Valincius. Adsorption of b-amyloid oligomers on octadecanethiol monolayers. Journal of Colloid and Interface Science. 2014;425:159–167. Impact factor: 3.3
- Gintaras Valincius, Rima Budvytyte, Tadas Penkauskas, Milda Pleckaityte and Aurelija Zvirbliene. Phospholipid Sensors for Detection of Bacterial Pore-Forming Toxins. ECS Trans. 2014;64(1): 117-124;
- Gonzalez-Perez A., Budvytyte R., Mosgaard D.L., Nissen S., Heimburg T. Penetration of action potentials during collision in the medial giant axon invertabrates. Rev. X., 2014; 4:031047. Impact factor 14.38.
- Lars D Mosgaard, Karis A. Zecchi, Thomas Heimburg, Rima Budvytyte. The Effect of the Nonlinearity of the Response of Lipid Membranes to Voltage Perturbations on the Interpretation of Their Electrical Properties. A New Theoretical Description. Membranes, 2015;5(4):495-512. Impact factor:
- Alfredo Gonzalez-Perez, Lars D. Mosgaard, Rima Budvytyte, Edgar Villagran-Vargas, Andrew D. Jackson, Thomas Heimburg. Solitary Electromechanical Pulses in Lobster Neurons. Biophysical Chemistry, 2016 ;216:51-59. Impact factor: 2.363
- Kasper Jensen, Rima Budvytyte, Rodrigo A. Thomas, Tian Wang, Annette Fuchs, Mikhail V. Balabas, Georgios Vasilakis, Lars Mosgaard, Thomas Heimburg, Søren-Peter Olesen, Eugene S. Polzik. Non-invasive detection of animal nerve impulses with an atomic magnetometer operating near quantum limited sensitivity. Scientific reports, 2016;6:296 Impact factor: 5.59.
- Tian Wang, Alfredo Gonzalez-Perez, Rima Budvytyte, Andrew D. Jackson, and Thomas Heimburg. ``Comment on `Penetration of action potentials during collision in the median and lateral giant axons of invertebrates''. Phys. Rev. X, 2017;7:028002. Impact factor: 14.38.
- Katryna Pampuscenko, Ramune Morkuniene, Tomas Sneideris, Vytautas Smirnovas2, Rima Budvytyte, Gintaras Valincius, Guy C. Brown, Vilmante Borutaite. Extracellular tau induces microglia to phagocytose neurons. Molecular Neurodegeneration, 2019. Submitted. Impact factor: 6.78.